THE POWER OF PUSH
POWER OF PUSH!
The Push notification by far, can be the most powerful tool on a mobile app. It is proven to deliver the quickest return on investment and the best platform for engagement and interaction within the app.
A push notification is a dedicated message, created by the app administrator and sent directly to users via the home screen of their mobile device. These messages can be in text form or more recently in graphic format (picture or animation) and are generally used to communicate offers, promotions or special events. Push notifications emanate from apps, and can be turned on or off at a user’s request. Adweek reports in an article [Push Notifications Not So Annoying Anymore : April 17 2012] that push notifications can potentially lead to –
• A 540% increase in daily app opens,
• A 30% increase in social sharing, and
• A 20% increase in mobile orders. • A response rate 3x faster than that of emails
However to harness the true power of push notifications close attention must be paid to the following points –
1) Appropriate User Controls – To avoid harassing users it is always advisable to give them the choice to opt out of notifications. Users should be first asked if they want to receive your notifications, thus giving them the choice of engaging in this way. This also helps you to identify your core app audience.
2) Differentiate your App user – Actively research your app user to find out their preferences ie deals, offers, events they are interested in and send the relevant push notifications. If you develop a Mobile App Solutions app, then our comprehensive App Analytics will also be invaluable in making this differentiation.
3) Perfect timing – It is important you either schedule or plan your notifications to arrive on users home screen at specific times in relation to the offers, promotions or events. For instance its not always necessary to send a push note on Monday about your Weekend drinks offer if you are a bar trying to sell more drinks at the weekend. However if you are trying to sell concession tickets before an even at your venue then this approach might be more suitable.
Advocates for facebook marketing will argue that you can send notifications through facebook to followers in a similar fashion, and that the benefits of messaging through an app are no different? Not true. With Push notifications via an app you can –
1) allow users to opt out of receiving the message (allows you to target real audience)
2) Send location based messages to customers
3) Send messages to customers on specific devices – user targeting (ie specific promotion for iPhone/Android user)
4) Link push notifications to any website URL
5) Link push notifications to any content or tab inside of your mobile app
Finally, in contrast to facebook notifications which can easily get lost in a constant stream of updates, users who have opted in to receive messages on the app literally cannot miss the notification.
For more information on the power of Push Notifications and a free ‘no obligation’ demo on how effective they can be within an app,
Download (Android) MobAppSol (Mobile Web) http://login.mobileappsolutions.co.uk/html5/?appcode=mobappsol